- Do you have a healthy thirst for God? Psalm 63:1; 42:1-2. "O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need for futher grace...I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made thirsty still" (A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God, p. 8).
- Are you more loving? (John 13:34-35; 1 John 3:11-20) "Cultivation [of Christian love] requires nothing less than the reversal of every instinct in our fallen natures...What the unregenerate cannot do, true Christians may and must."
- Do you delight in the bride of Christ? (2 Cor 6:16; Eph. 2:22; 1 Peter 2:9-10). Crhsit loved his people so much that he gave his life for them. Hw can we despise the very thing that Christ loved so dearly?
I was asked recently if I had any surprises in that survey of small church pastors. There's no surprise in the comments about having a small pool to choose from and that leaders in small churches are severely stretched. That's a natural part of small church terrain. Easing the tension of that stretch means to stop trying to be a miniature large church by offering a wide array of programs without sufficient resources. It means discerning and focusing resources on the small slice of God's mission that God has clearly called and gifted the church to do. It's the last sentence of the summary (in italics above) that was my biggest surprise and a significant concern. How can spiritually maturing leaders resist learning and training that will enable them to better exercise the calling God has placed on their lives? I can understand going through a season of life when training has to be postponed, but not resistance. And, I trust there's no contentment in our pastoral ranks about being untrained to to do training. A core, biblical function of spiritual leadership is to "equip the saints for the work of ministry" (Eph. 4:11).
On the one hand there's nothing difficult about training others - it's as simple as being sure to carve out prioroity time to identify and spend time with people who are eager to grow and serve. On the other hand it's a demanding thing - it's life on life, unpredictable and can't be reduced to a program. The fruit is both frustrating and rewarding. Sometimes those who seem eager and promising flame out. But one of the joys of ministry is being in it long enough to see someone in whom you invested time still standing firm in the faith and being used by God in leadership.
For your reflection and comments -
What's your expereince dealing with spiritually immature leaders? Bickers lists four ways: 1) confont them, 2) live with them, 3) help them grow spiritually, 4) work around them. Have you used any of these four? Would you add anything to the list?

2 & 3. Since the small church is the small group ministry, leaders do get recycled. The pressing issue we face is being out of order with our own constitution when it comes to officer elections--we have so few qualified and the few that are already serve. So . . . . we just go with what we have until God gives us the increase as we live out our lives.
ReplyDeleteSmall churches will often call pastors who are young and at the beginning of their ministry. For that reason, the session of the church is often older than the small church pastor himself. And yes, these folks believe they are the experts and often resent the idea that they need any ongoing training.
ReplyDeleteI have found that I have to (#2 above) live with them and (#4) work around them.