Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Importance of Small Churches

While the exact percentage varies from one study to another, there is no doubt that the most common expression of church life in the U.S. is the small congregation. Chapter 1 of The Healthy Small Church starts off noting that 2/3 of all churches in the U.S. meet with less than 100 on Sunday mornings. That's not the case in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. For much (if not all) of its 29 year history, the EPC has leaned toward the larger congregation. The chart below is a snapshot of the EPC by church size (blue) and average worship attendance on Sundays. (Click on the graph to enlarge it.)


Some observations --
  • About 42% of EPC congregations meet with less than 100 people - significantly less than the national average - no matter what studies are cited.
  • About 61% meet with less than 200 (the definition of a small church in the Z-4:10 Network).
  • About 50% the people in EPC congregations each week are in only 8% of its churches.
  • This snapshot has really not changed over the years, even with a significant influx of new churches
  • While a few churches in the EPC are moving from one size category to another (both directions), the overall picture isn't changing.
  • The small church is the "majority church" if measured by number of congregations. It is the minority church if measured by the number of worshipers.

A common issue for small congregations its negative self assessment (See Sept. 8 posting and comments). Being small in a denomination that leans large probably exaggerates the issue. Taking the headings of this first chapter to heart, small church leaders and congregations have good reason to invite someone to attend. Paraphrasing the headings, a healthy small church is a place where people:
  • Experience real community
  • Find an opportunity to serve and use their gifts
  • Have a place where news is communicated quickly
  • Find a place where they are more important than programs or performances
  • Where they actively benefit their town/city

A core value of the Z-4:10 Network is that size does not determine significance. Size says a a lot about scale and about organizational culture, but little about importance in the kingdom of God. In comparison to the needs of our communities, even our larger comgregations seem small. Both large and small, if they are pursuing God's mission, make significant contributions.


We don't have to think very long to realize that "bigger is better" is a gross over-generalization. I had an interesting airplane conversation on my way back from making a presentation on missional small churches. The person next to me was a nanotechnologist. In his world, bigger is definitely not better. In working through this book together, perhaps we're taking steps to becoming specialists in "church nanotechnology."


Stories of two congregations come to mind. Both are small, by anyone's measure, and both made some significant kingdom contributions. The first had a short, 10 year history. Even though the church dissolved, something significant happened while it was together. From that congregation, which at its peak had 110 on a Sunday morning, I can count fourteen people now in full time Christian service - from domestic church planting to ministry in the Muslim world. That's an astounding percentage of people. The second is in Ft. Collins, Colorado. I am encouraged by what God has done there in and through Christ Fellowship Church. On a recent trip, I stopped to visit Ed and Donna Davis. For most of its years, their congregation, now averaging about 75 on Sunday, had no building of its own. When the congregation did build, they did it with their community foremost in their minds. In consultation with the needed community and state authorities, they built a daycare/preschool facility in which they could meet. Most churches I know do things the other way around - build for their needs and then try to adapt the building for the needs of the community. To me, what Christ Fellowship has done is an example missional thinking and practice. The CFC Child Development Center has the reputation of having the best preschool in Ft. Collins with more children waiting to enroll than they have room to accommodate. Small does not mean insignificant.


Please read and join the conversation - just press the "comments" button below each posting.
  • What are your stories of significant ministry in a small setting?
  • How do you react to Bickers' observation that "small churches communicate quickly when problems arise"? The communication style in a small church informal (family) rather than formal (institutional). How can leaders use this aspect of small church DNA to further the church's mission?
  • What struck a chord with you in Chapter 1?
Join our nation-wide reading group at any time. You may order The Healthy Small Church from Lay Renewal Books.

5 comments:

  1. Z-4:10 Fellows,

    When I was ordained was to a true "nano-church" of 20 people. The worship was powerful and intimate, but this was also a collection of very mature believers who were wounded from their medium church experience. We healed together and shared much in that family atmosphere. IT was wonderful, but hard…you simply knew you did not have much to work with in the realm of resources.

    When we stepped into shepherding at a 60 member church, we thought “WOW what an amazing change to have so many people.” Only 40 more people, but you would have thought we were hit with a tidal wave. We would not trade the dedication and love of the people at our small size church for any large congregation. I have worked at one...and there is love and dedication from people there also, but it is intensified in the small congregation! For one thing, there is less places for people to hide.

    I am not so sure I agree with Bickers about small churches communicating quicker when problems arise. I think size is only a portion of the calculation on the speed of communication. There is also: local social dynamics, spiritual maturity, and familiarity with accountability, to name a few additional aspects that have to be considered regarding communication.

    Maturity and immaturity in the realm of communication becomes quickly evident in a smaller congregation. That I think is true, not necessarily that the issue gets dealt with quicker, some times it gets swept under the rug quicker, or people simply walk away.

    What struck a chord with me is that the “nano-church” is the majority in the nation, not the minority. We are not alone, and that bigger numbers do not equal better churches. Small churches can be glorifying to God...if we keep to simply being faithful. Faithfulness is our true pursuit, and God’s is to determine the success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with Jason. I am not sure that Bickers is right in the speed of communication. With email, phone trees, and text messaging, communication can be quick in large churches as well. I think the difference would be in response. Having served in a church of 900 members and now a church of 70 members, the smaller church responds to crisis and needs with lightning speed.

    We are expecting our fourth child any day and the docs have ordered my wife to rest. Not official bedrest, but rest nonetheless. Last Saturday night my daughter (7 years old) and I cooked supper. She proudly mentioned the fact to some folks at church and questions arose. Before I knew it, I had meals scheduled all week. I was'nt even going to mention a thing.

    That is just a recent story involving me, but there are countless others. One of our members was going to trial and facing several years of jail. His attorney suggested that people write letters of support so that the judge might have mercy. In about five days, around thirty letters were written.

    I think information can be passed quickly anywhere with modern technology, the difference is that a small church responds quickly. And that can make quite a witness for visitors/new members.

    Josh Cole
    Providence Church
    Waynesville, NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I didn't indicate that I believed that smaller churches communicate quicker than larger churches. I only meant to say that one of the advantages of a smaller church is that they can communicate quickly. Many larger churches can use technology tools such as phone trees that smaller churches may not have and be able to send information to their members very quickly. However, in the smaller church that information is more likely to be made personally with the opportunity to discuss how to respond which is one reason why smaller church may be able to respond quicker to the needs of which they are aware.

    I continue to enjoy the comments and hope that some people who are currently just reading the comments will begin to jump in and share their thoughts with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder why the EPC, from inception, has contradicted national averages and tended toward larger congregations?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having consulted with churches for over a decade but only recently stepped back into pastoral ministry, I've enjoyed reading the first couple of chapters. There is a lot of truth in the book that I have seen both from a consulting perspective and now recently from the pastoral perspective.

    I look forward to future chapters and dialouge!
    Marty

    ReplyDelete